MS OneCare (or whatever)
Posted on Tue 06 June 2006 in Uncategorized.
If it costs you US$50 a year to pay MS to “protect” your computer [from security flaws in *their* product … erm … conflict of interest, anyone?] I’m gonna advocate GNU/Linux again.
So, assuming you want to spend just US$50. Here goes;
- Goto https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
- Request an install CD for free
- Wait for it to arrive
- Install to your computer
- Spend a few months with it
6) Wonder why on earth you were prompted to spend US$50 when you got Ubuntu for free
- Limit Windows use to high end gaming [with no Net access]
- Ditch Windows entirely
Total Windows spend [yr]: US$50
Total GNU/Linux spend [yr]: US$0
When you’re done with the install CD, lend it to your neighbour/friend/relative. You can’t do that with OneCare. Need help? http://www.linuxquestions.org and search first, or visit http://lug.org.uk and look for a Linux User Group [LUG} near you and go along.
Within the year you’ll be able to use GNU/Linux as or more easily than Windows. Honest, try it :-)